Monday, March 8, 2010

Week 2 Blog Post - Hitting a Brick Wall

When I was growing up, there was this one spot behind a nearby high school where we used to ride our bikes. It was only a few blocks from my house, yet it was a right of passing when you became old enough to make the venture there. We would ride to the school with our baseball gear and get lost in the game, sometimes this game was football. Mostly we would ride for the enjoyment of riding. There were a few spots that were designed for those of us looking for adventure. One place was a steep hill down to a loading dock. Rushing at full speed on two wheels and hitting the sharp curve at full speed was something we were often warned not to do. The times we did not quite take the curve right, we felt it and were given a stern “I told you so”. 
One of the other spots at the school was at the back of the building. It was sort of a small oasis in a concrete desert. Down a narrow ally there was a small square of grass with a great climbing tree. The unique part of this spot was that it was raised about two feet up from the ground. Luckily for us bike riders, someone built a ramp and set it on the brick wall leading to this small plot. We would race our bikes down the ally as fast as we could and hit the ramp to get as much air as we could and land just past the tree. Once there, we would park our bikes, climb the tree and hang out there to rest. This route was as natural as breathing to us. 
One afternoon my friends and I made our daily journey to the school. We raced down the hill a few times and enjoyed the rush of the speed and taking that curve. We decided to go rest at the tree after a while, but something unexpected happened this day. I led the pack of us (I was winning the race) down the narrow ally. We were all expecting our usual trip of full speed, hit the ramp, and land on the other side of the tree. Counting on the usual, I didn’t notice that the ramp wasn’t there. I hit full speed into the brick wall. I did get some great air that day as I flew over the handle bars of my bike, and I did land on the other side of the tree. One of my friends followed my lead, the others realized what had happened and hit their breaks so hard that they ended up sliding down the alley with their bikes. My friend and I got up after a moment and shook off the shock. Our egos bruised a bit and our bikes pretty dinged up. Our friends however, suffered more physical injuries. 
I’m reminded of this event today as I contemplate and write my proposal for my media project. I feel as though I have been speeding down this ally of coursework at full speed for the past nine months. The last day of the month I hit the ramp and rested until it was time to do it again. Today, I hit that brick wall again. This proposal is due, the thesis paper is due, and the project itself is due. Yes, I hit the brick wall and am flying through the air. I know many of my classmates feel the same way. I know in the end it will be ok. I’m not skidding toward the wall, I hit it full speed and am going to land on the other side of the tree with a bit of shock but a feeling of accomplishment. 

Photo from: http://www.bigfoto.com

2 comments:

  1. Awesome story, Bob. Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed it – it was very powerful! And it sounds like fun ☺. I can definitely relate to the feeling. It feels like we are flying in midair and we hope to come down safely on the other side of the tree, but, in my case, know that its possible to come down, not so safely, on top of the tree. I guess the thing that is stressing me most is the thesis due on Sunday and for some crazy reason, our group signed up for the following day to present our media projects! Haha! Such is life! Nothing like an added challenge ☺.

    I can see the end goal in sight and a path to get there, but I just wish I had more time! I guess I’ll have to make due. Here’s to getting it done in any case! I’m glad you feel confident that everything will be ok. I know it will! Good luck and I look forward to your final product. Push forward to the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting analogy. someone moved the damn ramp on you forcing you to make the leap head over handlebars instead of with the handlebars. Sorry about that. But, you are quite correct, that the bruises and scrapes will heal and you'll have your master's degree in about 60 days (from the beginning of month 11).

    ReplyDelete