Monday, March 22, 2010

Week 3 Reading Response - Get Out of Your Way

This is a theme I encounter all the time as a musician, both in myself at times and with other musicians. Performing in front of an audience is a very vulnerable position. Everything you do is watched, heard and judged. I often encounter students (and even some professionals) who go through phases of stage fright. They shut down in fear and this brings about what they envision, a poor performance. It is often hard to get out of this circumstance. I always ask these performers why they are afraid of the stage. The reactions I get to this question vary, but usually involve an odd look and a thought of “this guy is crazy.” I then ask a routine number of questions about how the stage has treated the performer. Has it ever tripped you? Did it call you names? Did it bite you? Usually by now I have confirmed my insanity. 
Quickly I switch to the music being performed. What is it about? What kind of message do you want to say with your performance. It is usually at this point the performer starts to laugh at the idea of being afraid of the stage and some of the true fears come out. These performers are afraid of the performance; the idea that people will judge them and the ramifications of poor judgements. 
Once these ideas are voiced, I tell the performer to get out of their way. Play out like you mean it. Especially if you think it’s a “wrong note”. If we can let out the meaning of what we want to express, then those mistakes will not sound like mistakes. There really is nothing to lose because all of the people listening are really wishing they were the ones performing. A show of passion and love for what you do will inspire the audience to move forward with what they love to do. This passion we put into our work is infectious and is the energy that connects; it is really up to us if we are going to give a positive energy or settle on a negative one. 

Photos taken by Bob Walker, Jr as a storm was approaching during an outdoor performance Summer 2009

4 comments:

  1. I am absolutely sure a stage has tripped me in the past... it was probably malicious and more than likely premeditated. It was an evil stage, I'm sure of it ;)

    I was also subjected to itchy choir sweaters as a result of being on stage. There's no amount of therapy that's going to get me past that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bianca, remind me to tell you the story of the stage that swallowed my drummer when I see you at graduation. Maybe I'll blog about it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember, many many moons ago, that I wasn't very fun before going on. I think that came from not feeling like I had a very good support system of friends who would understand what it meant to me and could meet me in that space before going on and playing music. I know athletes put on their "game face" and I did that, but for something that was supposed to come from my inner feelings, I think I was more numb before going on than anything else. I'm hoping that I'm in a better place now, though i haven't played for an audience in years. I recently started attending open-mic sessions and one of these days I'll strap on the telecaster and let it happen...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @jbb..... if you have an extra guitar and there's an open mic during May graduation, let's jam a tune together.

    ReplyDelete