Thursday, March 11, 2010

Week 2 Discussion Post #2 - New CD Technology

The first question for this post is one I really want to answer but really can’t remember the first song that touched me on an emotional level. Maybe there have been, or are too many. 
I do remember when CDs were introduced and the price difference. The story was that CDs were just going to be a fad and not last long. The price dropped slightly, but we really need to take in account inflation to really figure that out in exact numbers. There are a few CDs I have purchased that are the same albums I have on vinyl or cassette. I have not purchased music I own on CD in mp3 format though and have not had to purchase the same song more than once. I actually end up downloading full albums when I have the chance. 
My funny story with the change to digital is with my first original recording experience. My band at the time spent a few months in the studio to release our debut album. At the time, cassettes were what was being made. Once we completed our sessions, spliced tape, and sent it off for duplication, the studio we recorded use the money to buy digital recording equipment. I spent a few days playing with this new technology, then had to listen to my cassettes. At least we don’t have to splice tape anymore. 

2 comments:

  1. As someone who has worked in the recording industry, I'd love to hear your insights on what looks like the music industry versus kids with computers. In particular I have an entry with an NPR interview that I'd love to hear you comment on. Here's the link (which I really need to shorten!):

    http://web.me.com/edm613/edm613/Tech_%26_Media_History/Entries/2009/6/18_Important_Media_History__the_Rise_and_Fall_of_the_Music_Industry_(NPR__Fresh_Air).html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link, I will go check it out.

    ReplyDelete