Sunday, March 28, 2010

Week 4 Final MAC Post - What is Work?

I was recently told, “anything that has to do with work is not your thing.” This comment brought out a few reactions, the first of which was shaking my head in disbelief that this would be a comment aimed toward me. I then started thinking about what people generally perceive what work is and what I do on a regular basis to possibly see why this comment would be made. 
What I love to do is make music. This is my occupation. I perform, write and teach music. When I am not performing, writing or teaching, I spend time listening to music and help support other musicians. When musicians meet each other, one of the first questions is always “what instrument do you play?” When I tell someone I am a musician, the question is “what kind of music do you play?” No one ever asks what instrument I work or what kind of music I work.
Now that I am earning a technology-based degree, I have to think further. I’ve spent the past eleven months on my computer (it seems non-stop at times). I’ve created music, videos, podcasts, images, web sites and interactive lessons (for playing music of course). I have logged time in SecondLife, Tweeted, posted to FaceBook and even spent a month playing games. Putting these activities together with the fact that I am still a musician, I can begin to believe that work is not my thing. 
I have to now wonder if the term work is an appropriate one. The people at www.whywork.org will agree with me on this one. Isn’t life about more of who we are than what we do? What we do builds our character and some of us are lucky enough to be doing what we love to do on a regular basis as a career. This is the path people should strive for. There are great mechanics, engineers, builders, electricians, and plumbers out there (just to name a few occupations). I even know people that do these things for enjoyment; their career is what they love. I would never second guess their motivation. So why is it I put in long hours honing my craft, as well as twelve months improving my knowledge so I can better serve those I support and teach, yet I am told  work is not my thing or I am considered “underemployed”? 
If showing up to a place for forty hours a week just because it is expected is what it takes to be considered successful, even if it’s drudgery, then I would rather fail. If this is what work is then I guess the comment made to me is correct, work is not my thing. However, if work is the effort exerted to complete a task, or reach a goal, even if it’s something that is considered fun by most, then this is what I love. Maybe I just need to send this person a copy of my current transcript along with the things I have accomplished at my place of employment in a short time. I could also send along the 40+ projects I had to complete these past eleven months. I think, I’ll just enjoy what I call success instead, it’s better energy and not as much a waste of my time; I have too much work to do:-)

2 comments:

  1. My dad is a professional musician as is the mother of one of my best friends and they constantly mention that people don't see what they do as "work." All most people see is the short amount of time you're on stage. They don't see the insane hours of practice over your lifetime to become good enough to be on a stage, or the networking to try and book gigs, or the sheer drudgery of lugging gear.

    Music is work... it's just a different kind of work where the end product is just the tip of the iceberg as far as what actually goes in to what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't consider what I do "work." I mean, I am employed and I perform in a profession that people consider valuable (though to what degree is certainly up for debate), but I don't get up to go to "work" every day.

    I LOVE the job that I do; it excites and energizes me (when it's not sending me to the brink of insanity). I kind of live by the idea that if you find something you love to do, you'll never work a day in your life.

    I think that there are SO many people who DON'T work at jobs they love that they begrudge those of us who do. Sad that it is that way, but the adage of misery loving company really is true.

    ReplyDelete